Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Procrastinated Post

I have been waiting to update until I had the energy and time to upload pictures and make everything beautiful and insightful, that clearly is not going to happen.

Last Saturday I spent the day at Frederiksborg Slot. The last time I was there was my 20th birthday. It was gorgeous.


Saturday night, I went out to dinner with my Danish friend Amalie. It was truly great to see her and catch up, even if we hadn't really talked in 3 years. She and I talked for a long time about the differences between the USA and Denmark. She had most recently been to Texas and said that it was "in the west, the most opposite to a Danish mindset you can have." Yep. I told her that it was pretty opposite of a San Francisco perspective too. Outside the restaurant there were trampolines in the ground. I don't know why, but it was awesome.


Very late into the night I had kylling (chicken) shawarma and it is the greatest fast food/drunk food of all time. If American mayonnaise tasted like Danish shawarma french fry mayonnaise I would eat it on everything.


Sunday it poured rain and we had a family party for the daughter's graduation. There were lots of Danes and drinking and good food. It was very hyggeligt. 

Yesterday I woke up very very sick. I get sick a lot in Denmark, I think because of all the viruses I haven't been exposed to as an American. My throat was so swollen that it hurt to swallow, but I didn't want to waste a gorgeous day inside. First I went to the beach, which I found out once I got there was clothing optional. Lots of old man butts. Then, I went to Dyrehaven (Deer Garden) and walked around for 3 hours and was lost for another two. I made it home by sheer luck and clearly labeled public transportation. By the time I got home I was extremely sick and did nothing but sleep the rest of the night. My temperature read 38.1ºC, which is a bit over 100ºF. Not too bad, but when I am healthy my normal temperature is 96.8ºF, so 36ºC.

Today I was supposed to meet my dear American friend Amy at the airport when she landed, but I was definitely like 45 minutes late. It was still absolutely amazing to see her. We met here and lived in Copenhagen the same year through the same program, and we just happened to go to the same university in California.We spent a couple hours to reminiscing and walking down Strøget. Her girlfriend (who I adore equally) is joining her tonight and I have been promised that we are going to cause lots of trouble out on the town later this week. As of now I am still sick and slightly miserable. But really, how bad can one actually feel when they are in Denmark?

No comments:

Post a Comment