Friday, July 30, 2010

It was all going much to smoothly to be my life.

I was an alternate. As an alternate I was advised to not sign up for housing in Denmark. I did anyways because I wanted to have good housing. Apparently, I was still too late. They thought they were going to be able to get a host family for me, so they did not place me in my second or third choices. They could not get a host family for me. Now my second and third housing choices are also full. I am now in Shared DIS Housing. Which means no interaction with Danes, no Danish traditions, no Danish food, no real Danish lifestyle experience. Shared DIS Housing is the only housing option I was opposed to because it basically sounds like it is for people who do not want to actually be in Denmark. I really wanted a family, more then anything I wanted a Danish family. I got this news at work, I cried. What is going to happen to me during Christmas? Where will I go? So many of my plans revolved around having a family experience. I know that as a person I am not going to function as well in this situation. I am going to spend time with Danes, not to live in pseudo-America. I can switch to a host family at second semester, but it is not the same as having someone to welcome me in my first months of confusion and culture shock. I am just being a brat, the experience will still be amazing, I am just completely disappointed and crushed right now. Let us please hope that I look back at this post in 3 months and laugh because DIS Shared Housing has been the best thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment