Wednesday, June 18, 2014

jeg er hjemme!

I'm here! I am so happy, but I accidentally slept today away. I forgot that my phone wouldn't work here. I knew that I wasn't going to have a sim card or anything and couldn't do any texting or calling without wifi, but I forgot that I could not use it as a watch or an alarm clock because it won't sync up with local time. In fact, setting an alarm is fruitless as it seems to be randomly choosing what time zone to display. Sometimes CA time, sometimes east coast, and one that I did not recognize but I'm guessing was somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. So my two hour nap turned into a giant 6 hour jetlag no-no nap.


My flights were pretty bad. The first one was from SFO to YYZ and was supposed to take like 4 1/2 hours. It was 45 minutes late taking off, and then we had to circle for a while outside of Toronto because of a thunderstorm. I had just a little over an hour to make my connection, so I was not amused.



Lucky for me, my connecting flight was ALSO delayed because after the storm cleared they had to change a tire. By the time we actually got on the second plane I was so over traveling. I hadn't slept at all on the first flight and I was hungry and exhausted and had been in a state of really high stress guessing if I would make my connection or not. Before we even took off, this terrible woman in front of me turned around and said in a very accusing tone, "I can feel your knees in my back." As if she wanted me to fix it? Everyone around me was judging her in a way that only overly polite Canadians and Danes can. A sort of silent exchange of looks and sympathy. She made a big deal about it several times to the point where I cried. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it just seemed like the most selfish complaint someone could have. I explained to her that there was nothing I could do about it short of chopping my legs off and that I was sorry but she would just have to deal. Then the bitch reclined and told me that the pain of my knees in her back got worse. I told her in my most polite voice that I was sorry she is in pain, and she should imagine how much it hurts me to have her continuously slamming her seat into my legs. The silent judgey Danes and Canadians loved that, and it shut her up for the rest of the flight. She did not, however, raise her seat up from being reclined. I felt no guilt when her seat got "accidentally" kicked for the last 6 hours of the flight. This is also the type of woman who did not fill out that she had special dietary requests, complained that it was unfair that other people got vegetarian meals because she is vegetarian and needs one too, and then demanded they bring her a veggie meal from first class... which of course the airline did. I really disliked this woman. I watched really great movies: The Wolf of Wall Street, The Lego Movie, Her, and About Time. I ate surprisingly decent airplane food and drank absolutely dreadful free airplane wine. The absolute best part about my airplane trips was that they ended up in Denmark.


The picture just above is the best one I could get of Skagen. The clouds mimic the curve of the left side of the peninsula so it is a little hard to see, but I was really excited because I rarely approach CPH from over Jylland instead of Germany.

My "visiting family," who I will probably just refer to as my host family from now on because it is easier to explain to people, picked me up from the airport and then I took my way-too-long nap. I don't think I am going to make it into city center today, but we are about to have dinner and then we are all going out for Paradis! Then we will probably hang out and catch up and watch TV. Not what I had planned, but so perfectly hyggeligt it is exactly what I have been missing about this country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment