Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The All-Telling Packed Lunch

At my last practicum site I packed a lunch the first day because we were told to, but the rest of the semester they provided for us. I do not think I will be as fortunate in the forest, unless I resort to eating wild berries... or children.

Anyways, as I packed my lunch tonight to be ready for tomorrow morning I thought about what I packed last time for my first day of practicum. My lunch then consisted of: Laughing Cow cheese dippers (like that snack with the breadsticks and orange cheese, the cheese the cats went crazy for), a fruit leather, and a salami sandwich on white bread, all kinda shoved into an awkward tupperware. The lunch I just packed myself consisted of: carrot sticks that I peeled and cut myself, and two pieces of rye bread cut into halves with raspberry jam and sliced cheese on them, placed in bags tied with knots.

This may not seem very telling to the average person, but on the Danish-O-Meter I went from about a 2 (figuring out where the grocery store is) to about a 7 (avoiding pre-packaged snack foods and enjoying Danish rye bread). I do not think I will ever make it to the perfect 10 (being able to tolerate pickled herring floating in a raw onion pool as eatable), but it is fun to be able to look at myself and see a change I did not realize had happened until after I snuck a piece of rugbrød (rye bread) during preparations because it looked so tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment