Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Awkward Post from Italy about Dansk Juletid

So I left for my trip without talking about Christmas, and I know that when I get back from my trip all I will want to do is talk about France and Italy, soooo here is an entry that will not do my Christmas experience any justice at all but needs to be written.

I went up to Aalborg in Northern Jylland for Christmas to spend it with a family I know from when the daughter studied abroad in California when she was 16. I took the train because I still had a valid train pass from my travels in November so it was nice to not have to pay transportation, but it was the train ride from hell. At one point I literally had to get off the train and run in the snow to the car over because they had separated the trains while I was looking for a bathroom that worked... I arrived in Aalborg at 9 instead of 7, but they had waited for me for dinner. It was the 23rd and we had a great meal and then I went to bed because I was rather tired from the 6 and a half hour trainride that was only supposed to be 4.

Danes celebrate Jul on the 24th, so we got up early for a wonderful breakfast and then were off to a party at their old neighbors house. I felt a little out of place at the party at first, but then I was served a glass of wine and we started singing Christmas carols. Some in English, but mostly in Danish. I liked to sing them because I knew the sounds and recognized a lot of the meaning! It made me feel really connected to the language. After the party we went to the Zoo! The Big Band that my friend played in throughout school was playing at a service, and although we missed most of the service we still got to go see baby lion and tiger cubs! So precious. It was outside so it was a little cold, but I was loving having my first white Christmas. I wish I had my pictures uploaded because it was spectacular. After the zoo we went home for lunch and had tarlet things that were traditionally Danish, it was a pastry shell filled with gravy and chicken and white asparagus and I could have eaten these things until I burst. They were delicious! I relaxed and watched friends for a bit before the next church service at my friends church. I listened to a translation through earphones except for the Danish hymns and the Christmas story. We sat in the loft and the church was all lit with candles. This is when I had my teary eyed everything-is-perfect moment. After that service we went home and all the Grandparents came over. The grandparents spoke only Danish, so that was interesting for me but we all watched TV while the mom made dinner. Dinner was the most amazing thing I have ever had in my life. I do not know why Americans think that turkey is a bird to eat, duck is the most delicious meat. Yum. We had duck, pork roast, red cabbage, potatoes, gravy, caramelized potatoes, boiled apples, and Risalamande for dessert. My family at home does not have a traditional Christmas dessert and I am bringing Risalamande into our lives starting next year. It is rice pudding mixed with whipped cream and almonds with a warm cherry sauce. It made my tastebuds dance. Also, there is a while almond hidden in it (in our case 3) and if you get the almond you get a prize! (which is traditionally a marzipan pig). After dinner and some schnapps we moved on to singing around the Christmas tree. You light the candles on the tree and hold hands and dance and sing around the tree. WHY IS DENMARK THE CUTEST COUNTRY EVER?! So we did that and then we got presents. The family was very generous to me and I was overwhelmed with the feeling of belonging and love. It was about 1am by the time we finished so I went to bed.

Christmas morning we slept in to about noon and had lunch. We went to a harbor to take a walk and it was a very relaxing and chill day. At night we went to one of my friend,s friends from gymnasiums house for dinner and cocktails. After the party we went out to the bars and I swear that every single person between 18 and 25 was out at the bars on Christmas night. It was a crazy experience! The dad picked me up and I went to the kitchen to get water and I set off the security alarm. It was embarrassing, but we all laughed about it. Morfar came over the next morning on the 26th for breakfast and then they packed me up with weinerbrod and they drove me to the train station.

I can not express the gift that they gave me for Christmas. The experience is one I will remember for the rest of my life. Although this entry is mostly just the play by play facts, it was a truly hyggeligt time.

No comments:

Post a Comment