Sunday, December 26, 2010

JuleJulie

I am probably the only one who thinks that the title of this blog entry is clever. Danes put jul in front of everything, for example "julehund" is Christmas dog, so JuleJulie is Christmas Julia in Danish...

It is becoming increasingly hard to write blog entries. My thoughts are becoming more complicated and my life is too full to possibly be able to mention everything that I do. I was going to wait until I had pictures to write this entry, but I leave for Paris the day after tomorrow and that will bring a whole new slew of thoughts and experiences to write about. Last Tuesday was one of the greatest days I have had here. The people still living in my housing (which during the semesters holds 30 people) were 3 danish RSAs (kinda like RAs but much cooler) and Grace and myself. One of the RSAs invited us to her school's Christmas party. Grace and I started out our afternoon by going to Tivoli. I think it is safe to say that there is no way to recreate Jul i Tivoli. Pictures cannot capture it, and words cannot describe it. You walk into the park and are smacked in the face with the magic of Christmas. Lights everywhere, Christmas trees, snow covering everything, laughing children, the scent of gløgg and æbleskiver, Christmas market atmosphere, little coal fires strategically placed around to warm your hands, nisser village, and the overall classic Tivoli charm. It was breathtaking.





At Tivoli we went to Wagamama for dinner and got Asian food with a very nice 25% student discount. We went home and really did not feel like going out but we did want to go to the parties so we forced ourselves to get ready. As soon as we were dressed we got more into the spirit of the evening. The semester students had left quite a large quantity of alcohol behind, so we opened a bottle of wine and were going to relax for a bit before facing the 15ºF temperatures outside. Our housing was freezing, and we ended up deciding (in a perfectly sober state of mind before the wine was even opened) that since our newly cleaned bathroom has heated floors and is the warmest place ever that it would be an acceptable room to spend Grace and my last night living together. We then realized that since all of our SRAs were out at the moment that we had the entire building to ourselves and we thought it was only appropriate to do all the things that we cannot normally do. We blasted our new favorite Danish music and ran down the halls and sang and screamed and even accidentally opened the "private" dwarf door at the end of our hallway. It was already the greatest time, and we had not even left yet. We took the Metro to Christianhavn and miraculously found the university. How it worked was each of the 9 departments were having their own Christmas themed party in their student cafe and you could walk around to all of them. Grace and I only made it to 7 of them, but it was unlike anything I have experienced in the states. There was one party with candles and people in powdered wigs, and another with white mesh curtains and old movie images flashing, one party everything was red, and another was a bunch of tables for talking. Finding the parties was almost as fun as going to them. The architecture party was upstairs in a building through their studio space, so we saw all their work and their models. We actually saw a lot of the university and different buildings and found the other side of the river that goes through Christiania. It was absolute danish craziness and it was amazing. We ended up going home at about 3 in the morning because we were getting so tired, but our SRA who invited us did not come home until 6am which I think is more typical. I do not know if I can go back to a country without university sponsored parties. They are so much more fun and so much safer and under control than USA house parties. They are also in central locations (since they are at the university) and because there is such good (at least better than in America) public transportation you do not have to deal with all the complications and potential stupidity that come with trying to get to parties in the first place. It was a wonderful night that really made it apparent how good of friends Grace and I have become. I am very sad that she is leaving Øster F, but happy she is staying the year and lives pretty close to me when we get back to California.



That is Squeegee Broom. Also, it is so cold that the lens of my camera fogs up when we go inside. It took us a while to realize why everything was so fuzzy in our inside pictures.

That was a longer post than I anticipated. A real JuleJulie post will come tomorrow. Right now I need to sleep. Oh København, jeg elsker dig.

1 comment: