Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harry Potter og Dødsregalierne


Harry Potter was amazing. It was annoying that it was only half a movie. They should have just waited and released both halves at the same time. I want to see the rest.

I feel like every time I see Harry Potter the people in the theatre are my age. When I was 14, everyone seeing it was 14, now everyone in the theatre is 20. I think that this is because I fall in the "Harry Potter" age. The books were not really known until the 3rd one was released, which is when I was 9 years old. I was the age where I started out reading the books with my mom, but then as I got older I read them on my own. I caught up with the characters ages in the books, their final year of Hogwarts was released the summer before my final year of high school. The movies were also released when the characters were my age. I appreciate that new children are "discovering" the books, and that the series is enjoyed by all ages, but there is a span of about 5 years I think of kids born between 1987 and 1992 that have an unhealthy love of the story. We are the ones who waited for our Hogwarts letters and who were figuring out our own romantic awkwardness while the characters were sorting theirs out. We went to the midnight releases of the books, and know the routine of the 3 day June lockdown to finish the books before spoilers can be leaked. It is totally appropriate for university students to dress up like wizards and stay up all night to watch a movie even with a full day of classes ahead, because you EXPECT that everyone else in all your classes is doing the same thing.

Now that I am done telling the world that age has anything at all to do with loving Harry Potter (which it probably doesn't and I only see because of my skewed perspective), I was thinking about all my experiences with Harry Potter. HP and I have been through a lot together. It seems like I always see the movies with people who are important in my life at the time, which means I have seen Harry Potter movies with some pretty toxic people from my past. The books remind me of Starfire, church camp, and my grandmother's death. One of the happiest times of my summer was watching the 6th movie on the 4th of July with my then best friend, and look where that has ended? Harry Potter has been in my life for 11 years, over half of my life. What are we going to do after this summer when we have no more premieres to look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment