Monday, April 4, 2011

Poor Neglected Blog and Gym Longing

My parents left this morning so hopefully life will slow down a little bit so I can get back to over-sharing my life, but not yet. If all else fails I will try to make a blog date on Wednesday to catch you up on our adventures. For right now it is time to study study study and write me some papers.

EDIT: Okay, lets not pretend like I didn't do most of my work then get distracted by facebook for the past half hour. Having my family here was a strange mixture of wanting to show off my home here and make them love it as much as I do, and getting really homesick for life in California. I spend so much time trying to hold on to the moments I have left here that I forget about the perks of America. The main one that I have been missing the past month or so is the gym. I hate running. I think I do not know how to run. The only time I have ever actually exercised outside was senior year of high school when I used to run/walk the track during lunch hour. I like to be inside. I like the sound of the machines whirling away, I like to see my distance and the number of calories and steps I have taken. I like to have my water right there without having to hold it the entire time. I like to be able to watch TV or study flashcards or just be somewhere that I can creep and people watch and secretly make up stories for why people are at the gym. I like that no one has to see me except other people who are just as sweaty and gross as I am. Here I walk more than I ever have in my life. My feet and ankles almost constantly hurt and when I travel the walking I do increases and I usually lose a little weight and my legs get a little sore. I have not actually worked out in a long time, possibly all year. For some reason I thought that having an active lifestyle means that I did not have to go through the pain of finding a gym here and paying Danish prices for a gym membership. I did not want to spend my year abroad on an elliptical. That being said, I miss the endorphines and the great feeling of pushing your body to it's physical limits and then hopping in my car with all the windows down and my music blasting letting the wind cool me off.

In this time of academic and life stress all I want to do is be active. I actually want to go running, which I never do, but my ankle is still slowing me down quite a bit. (Sidenote: I have a bug bite right where my ankle injury is and when I scratch it the itch feels better but the pressure of scratching makes me ankle hurt. [Sidenote to sidenote: I taught my visiting family the word "itch" and they thought it was hilarious.]) I think I am going to make a Summer Resolution to exercise every day. I also want to join a yoga class. Maybe then I will be in shape enough to start dance up again in the fall, since that really is the most magical type of exercise and stress relief that exists.

After I cleaned my room and vacuumed and mopped the floor I put on my socks and worked on pirouettes. I miss dance so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment