Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tales From Spring Break Part 1: Adventures in Istanbul

I flew to Istanbul on April 12th to see a good friend from high school? Well, from elementary school? Middle school? The exact derivation of our friendship is unclear, but we have known each other for quite some time. I came during his midterms and let him have the first two days to himself, which allowed me some time to explore Istanbul. Istanbul is the most foreign place I have ever been. Every other place I have been in Europe looks like something I recognize, either from media portrayal or my imagination. I did not think I was ever really going to make it to Turkey, so I guess I did not pay it proper attention while picturing different potential vacation spots. It was awesome, it was also HUGE. The city of Istanbul is 3 times the size of the population of the entire country of Denmark. That is 15 million people in one city! One nice thing is that they have to be able to feed 15 million people and for ridiculously cheap. I am pretty sure I ate about 5 meals a day.

Day #1. Sprinted through Latvian passport control. Stayed in a hostel with kittens and an interesting assortment of people. I ate my first Turkish food and fell in love. I took no pictures.

Day #2. Slept in until 11 am for the first time after 3 weeks of previous academic stress. Went to Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar with new friends. Ate a lot of Turkish Delights.



Day #3. Met up with my friend at his school, which happens to be right next to Rumeli Fortress. Sprinted up a mountain (in Bebek)! Silliness ensued.



Day #4. We saw literally everything that exists in Istanbul, including: the Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern (complete with Medusa heads), the Blue Mosque, AND ASIA! He took me baklava sampling. The sun shone and Istanbul gleamed, just like the smiles on our faces.



Day #5. We ate an incredible breakfast and proceeded to go to the largest of the Princes' Islands. We rode bikes, picnicked, looked at houses, and took in the beautiful simplistic contrast from the city. We went back to Asia for dinner, since it was on the way home and everything...



Day #6 - 7. I let my friend sleep in and I went to Dolmabahce Palace by myself. We met up to say goodbye and eat incredible waffles. I went back to Sultanahmet to say goodbye to Istanbul and thank it for giving me a truly great week, although I did get a horrid sunburn. Caught a 1 am bus tot he airport for a flight that left at 5 am.






What an attractive picture to leave you all with! Join me next time for installment 2: Frolicking in Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment