Friday, April 29, 2011

Prom

I am overhearing some Danish teenagers outside my window talking to an American girl who is here and missing her prom today. Let me tell you about my senior prom:

My boyfriend would not go with me. I wore a dress that he later made fun of and told me was ugly. I took a friend of mine, and that happens to be the last time I ever saw her. I tagged along with another friend's group where I obviously did not fit in. I did not eat my dinner. I saw the girl who destroyed me dancing with the boy I used to like, who later overheard me talking about her in the bathroom. I did not dance with anyone because I thought my boyfriend would be mad. The music was okay. The location was not fabulous. Afterwards, I did not not go to a party. I did not get drunk and have the best night of my life. My friend and I drove around until 5 in the morning so I could at least tell people I was out late. I had fun, but I had to force myself to not dwell on how much the reality really sucked.




Also, this is not a sob story because my jr. prom really was perfection.

Let me tell you about the day I had in Denmark. The entire city is covered in flags (including on the buses) to celebrate a royal birthday. My Danish class was fun and pretty comfortable. I had weinerbrød for breakfast. I went shopping and bought a blazer and a dress. I grabbed a sandwich from my favorite sandwich place. I watched part of the Royal Wedding. I went to my Hans Christian Andersen class where we got snacks and watched The Little Mermaid. I walked home in the sun. Took a short nap. And tonight I am going out to celebrate a friend's birthday.

Basically, I am so happy here. I am so happy to be away from my old life, and to feel free to enjoy the simple things. I will probably always be a little bitter about prom, but honestly? I live in Copenhagen. I do not need one night of feeling like a princess when I have been given the opportunity to live in a fairy tale for a year.

1 comment:

  1. I skipped my junior prom, because I didn't have a date.
    I went to my senior prom with a girl I didn't even really like, and when we got there, she went to hang out with her friends and I went to hang out with mine. We didn't dance.
    Afterwards, I went straight home.

    ReplyDelete