Thursday, February 24, 2011

Going Out and Dropping Out



I have never been the type of girl who really goes out and parties every single night. I have fun, but it was definitely not normal for me to go out to bars or clubs more than once a week. This semester I realized how much of the night life I had missed out on last semester and that is where you actually meet Danes, so I have been trying to make up for it. The bar scene here is so much fun and it helps that Copenhagen is such a safe city and I literally live in the middle of the center of town and the hip university area and can feel secure walking home whenever I need. It is true that in the past month I have met and talked to more Danish people going out that I did in a span of 3 months last semester. I also have became better friends with girls, who although American, are great. I have also noticed that this semester I am doing a lot worse academically. I think there are a lot of different reasons and a lot of stressors in my life, but I cannot help beating myself up a bit for starting to let my grades drop when I start going out more. I don't go out if I have class the next morning and it probably isn't really related, but it is just a different person than I am used to being. That being said, tonight a huge group went out dancing to celebrate THREE people that I knows' birthdays and I stayed in to study for my two midterms tomorrow. At least I can still maintain the facade of being responsible.

I had the best day at practicum today. Complete with the kids remembering my name, climbing in my lap, fighting over who got to sit next to me, and having conversations in Danish about fastelavn. I am invited to their fastelavn party next Friday. I have discovered that the official date is March 6th, but I had to look it up online because my two Danish friends didn't even know when it was and told me that they just kinda celebrate whenever certain groups can have parties. I have decided I can never be a real forest kindergarten pedagogue because today one of them casually took a whole pigs head (that was still furry) and tore it apart (it made ripping sounds) and made it into stew. Later they had the kids examine the boiled clean skull. I am not badass enough to handle that.

1 comment:

  1. i just about had a heart attack when i read the last part. i didn't really understand what you were saying about a pigs head and it being furry until you said they made it into stew. julia, i am not okay with this. you know i don't even like touching raw chicken; a pigs head with fur on it (and can i mention a face?) is unacceptable. i am traumatized for you.

    ReplyDelete