Monday, February 21, 2011

I am always right and not stubborn at all.

Do you ever encounter instances online or in reality where you see something that is incorrect and you want to announce to the world that whatever you read/saw/heard is WRONG and you know what is RIGHT. I have been looking online for traditional Danish cookbooks in English (which is something that I have not been able to find) and I find myself getting more and more frustrated with things people write about Danish food. I read things like Williams-Sonoma's explanation of "Ebleskiver" as "Filled-Pancakes". Excuse me Williams-Sonoma, but Æbleskiver have not been filled for generations. Like, you CAN fill them, but you eat them with jam and powdered sugar on top. Do not try to pretend that they exist to be some sort of jelly-filled donut. Also, æbleskiver are not a breakfast food, again, you can eat them for breakfast (which I will encourage in my life when I get home because the more æbleskiver the better), but they are seasonally for Christmas and you have them as a treat. In Denmark I never ate an æbleskiver before like 3 pm because you usually eat them at markets or at parties with gløgg. I hate this feeling, because I am sure that there is an entire population of Danes who would read this and go "Excuse ME Julia, you have only been here for 6 months and you don't know anything." I just hate it when people pretend to know everything about something when they know nothing (which I am guilty of ALL THE TIME). I am a pro-hypocrite. Like when people tell me when I go home that I can still eat ryebread, I just want to yell at them that they do not even understand the concept of ryebread and that they cannot tell me what mayonaise tastes like because it is different here. I did not expect that I would ever become attached to Danish food. It is slightly heartbreaking because Danish food is not really something you can get other places. Although hard to find truly authentic, a study abroad student who was in France or Italy can come home and find French or Italian food. My family is coming to visit in a few weeks and there is so much that I just want to make them eat. I am in love with Danish food. Maybe I will pass on leverpastej (liver patee) and pickled herring, but frikadeller (meatballs) and beets and potatoes and ryebread and wienerbrød (pastry) and tarteletter and lagekage (cake) and flødeboller and even ridiculous things like rødgrød med fløde. Yummm, I am getting hungry just thinking about it. Jeg kan godt lide dansk mad.

An interesting side note is that a Dane just won second place in the world cooking championship last month, and that the world's best restaurant is in Copenhagen in Christianhavn. It is called Noma and looks slightly ridiculous. I love Danish food. I plan on cooking huge amounts of it when I get home. I have found some ryebread recipes that look decent. I hope that people do not judge when I take my piece of ryebread, cut it in half, spread butter, place a few thin slices of hardboiled egg, and then dollop a spoonful of organic mayonaise on it and a little sprinkle of chives. Yum yum yum, that is my favorite smørrebrød.

In my fridge right now I have butter, jam, flour, and instant coffee. I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I hope I reread this post before I go so I can remember to be in love with Danish food and not cave and buy the over-priced avocados or the trail mix with "American peanuts" and "California rasins". I may splurge and buy some ice cream tomorrow. Danish ice cream is better quality, and it doesn't melt on the 20 minute journey home!

4 comments:

  1. Quote: "An interesting side note is that a Dane just won second place in the world cooking championship last month".

    That's not entirely true, the Danish chef Rasmus Kofoed didn't win second place, but FIRST place at the unofficial world cooking championship (Bocuse d’Or). He won Ahead of Sweden’s Tommy Myllymaki and Norway’s Gunnar Hvarnes.
    Rasmus Kofoed is a chef at Copenhagen's restaurant Geranium http://geranium.dk/#/en

    Dane wins World’s Best Chef
    A Nordic Bocuse d’Or hattrick sees a Danish chef as World’s Best.
    Full article: http://goo.gl/sc8oX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you can buy ryebread at the German discount supermarket chain Aldi in the US.
    http://aldi.us/us/html/product_range/productrange_bakery_ENU_HTML.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to check out http://trinahahnemann.com/en
    The Danish chef Trina Hahnemann has written a couple of Scandinavian cook books in English.

    http://trinahahnemann.com/en/books
    Quote:

    Trina Hahnemann has written numerous books about food in Danish and International books about Scandinavian food.

    All of them evolving around the daily home cooked meals.

    The Scandinavian Cookbook.

    Has come out in: UK, US, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Holland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.

    The Nordic Diet.

    Has come out in: UK, Denmark, US, France, Germany, Australia, Norway
    Will be published in Canada, Sweden

    Trina has also published 5 cookbook in Danish, they are not translated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazon links with reviews:

    The Scandinavian Cookbook
    http://www.amazon.com/Scandinavian-Cookbook-Trina-Hahnemann/dp/0740780948

    The Nordic Diet: Using Local and Organic Food to Promote a Healthy Lifestyle
    http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Diet-Organic-Promote-Lifestyle/dp/1616081899


    By the way, why do you store flour in the fridge? I have never heard anyone storing flour in the fridge before.

    ReplyDelete