Friday, February 11, 2011

Happy 100th Blog Post!

I have made is through the past 24 hours and now I am ready to go out and dance and forget all my worries.

The Forest Kindergarten I have my practicum at is actually the kindergarten program for a primary school, and in the same room as the kindergarten (for when we are inside) is a preschool/nursery. On Wednesday the school found out that 3 children, 2 from the primary school and one from the preschool had been shot and murdered by their father. I could write a full 5 pages of the experience I had in the classroom on Thursday, but I will save you the details. It was the most tense and emotional setting I have ever been in, and we only went outside for one hour during the six I was there. The kids did not know what was going on, but were feeding off the strange energy at the school. By the time I got home all I could do was lay in bed and cry, and I had only met the youngest boy briefly two weeks ago. I cannot understand how you can look at a 2 or 3 year old (the school told me he was 3, but the article I could find in english said he was 2) and point a gun at him. How can you shoot a baby? How can you shoot your family? The man attempted suicide, but he failed. I wish this happened in America because I am taking the Psychology of Criminal Behavior and we have learned about the Danish prison system, and this man is not going to get what he deserves. This type of thing does not happen in Denmark, at all. It is HUGE national news. I find so much irony in leaving my scary ghetto Islamic Brønshøj neighborhood to go to the idealistic world of privileged ethnic Danes in Birkerød to have this kind of thing happen. I am still pretty shaken up that something like this can happen at all, especially in the idealistic world of Denmark I have created in my head.

After I came home from practicum I went to see Dans2Go again at the Danish Ballet with my class. It wasn't as good this time, and except for Jord (the one with the hot shirtless men dancing in sand to Metallica) I resented it for taking me away from writing a paper I had due this morning. After the ballet we got Shwarma for a late dinner, and they were out of kylling (chicken) shwarma, and that annoyed me. Today has been much better, I wrote my paper for my Hans Christian Andersen class, went to class, picked up my long lost package at the post office, and am about to go to Føtex, try the Taco Shop for the first time, and go over for a Princess night before going out to a dance club.

I have actually discovered that I am Hans Christian Andersen reincarnated, just so you know. But that is another blog post for another time. 100 posts is a lot, I really applaud you if you have managed to stay interested in my life for this long.

I have discovered that 12/12 people on my floor know "In Da Club" by 50 Cent (the song that goes "We gonna party like it's your birthday, drink Bacardi like it's your birthday") but only 2 out of those 12 know the Beatles song "Birthday". I am really just about ready to give up on mankind in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment