Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kærlighed, Venner og Snoezelhuset


Love, Friends, and the Snoezel (mashup word of Dutch words for sniff and doze) House

Valentine's day was a HUGE success. Probably the best one I ever had. We made pizza, wore matching shirts, baked cookies with pink frosting, drank strawberry orange mimosas (so that they were pink), and watched Sex and the City. It was really just a fabulous night. I am totally lucky to have Amanda and Grace in my life. If I can't have a plethora of actual Danish friends, it is nice to have friends that I can take home to California with me.
<--- This is a picture of us.

Yesterday on my field study my core class went to the Snoezelhuset, which is pronounced SNOOZELHOOZEL and is really quite fun to say. It is a "house" with different rooms designed to stimulate different senses and parts of the brain for people who have a range of different conditions from ADHD and anxiety up to stroke victims and severely disabled patients. The one we went to had 4 rooms. One was a room with bean bag chairs and black lights with glowing things and blankets full of balls that you lay over yourself. One had music and a color changing lighted ball pit of clear balls and music. One room had a heated water bed with music and a trippy lights. And then there was my favorite room, the red room. The red room had a bed and crazy music. The bed is made of plastic with some crazy bass surround sound thing. The bed vibrates with the bass, but not in the driving-next-to-a-teenager-listening-to-their-rap-too-loud way. It was awesome, and the most relaxed I think I have ever been. I could spend all day there. There were also tubes with colored lights and bubbles and the lights would change colors. I need a Snoezelhuset in my house.
vvv This is actually the worst picture of the red room ever because the flash went off and you obviously cannot see the vibrations or the lights, but it was great. I am on the right.

1 comment:

  1. You do realize you look just like me in the top picture, right? I actually thought it WAS me at first.

    ReplyDelete