Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day One

I have no idea what time it is. My laptop says 1:12 am, and that should be 10:12 am, but I am so tired I do not even know. This post will also have a different time stamp on it because there is no internet yet because this building just got redone. The date is the 22nd of August. My flight got in at 7 am Copenhagen time and was a series of 2 flights the first of which I was at SFO by 4:45 am CA time and totaled 14 hours in the air. I got maybe 45 minutes of sleep on the plane. I may be a little bit cranky.
My room is different then I expected. I thought I was going to have my own bathroom, but I do not. We have one toilet and three showers for like 14 girls, I am intimidated. I also did not bring a shower caddy, so that will have to be arranged… and the shower doors are glass… lets get European and comfortable with each other really quickly please.

I have already met some really great people, and I am excited to be here. Everything has so much history. The city (what I have seen of it so far) is GORGEOUS. The building that I am living in is and old hospital that has been converted into flats for students of the University of Copenhagen, but DIS is renting it. As I type I can hear the bell tower in the courtyard ringing for 10:30. I will post pictures because it really is quite spectacular. I am on the second floor after the first and ground. Ground is a daycare facility for the University of Copenhagen, and 1 has a student café. The other parts of the hospital have been converted into classrooms for the University of Copenhagen’s business and economics departments or something. I am secretly hoping that the hospital used to be a psych ward and is haunted. Except there are no crazy Danes… if we ignore that whole Hamlet thing.



My bed is an awkward futon couch thing. Think Ikea on crack then mass produced for dormitories. Also, my closet does not open because there is this ancient skeleton key thing that refuses to turn in only my room. It’s probably the ghosts.
I am waiting for everything to hit me and for this to stop feeling like a vacation. I am going to go try out these crazy showers and then take a nap. I have no idea what time it is in the real world, and since I have no internet I do not know the code to unlock my phone to set and alarm, can you do laptop alarms? We will find out!
Tomorrow is the first real day of orientation. I will take lots of pictures and hopefully find internet!

EDIT: The girl living 2 rooms down from me goes to school in an old CA state mental institution! I am sure this is a sign because I blogged about this earlier, I just do not know what it is a sign for exactly. It is now about 4pm and I broke the main rule of jetlag and just slept for like 5 hours. It is POURING rain, and everything is closed on Sundays here anyways, so I do not want to go exploring. My closet is broken so I cannot unpack, and I seem to have lost any sign of other students. Blogging sans internet for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment