Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hårde Stoffer

30/8/10 18:34

Now that you all know how to say “hard drugs” in Danish, let me tell you about my day. Well, I was actually in class all day and it was unlike any day of class I have ever had in my life. In my Multicultural Context class we talked about a bunch of intro to class stuff, but then she had us go out on the Strøget and talk to people. It was the scariest thing of my life. So far out of my comfort zone I cannot even describe. After that class I went to Paradis with Amanda, Kate, and Shelby. Then we went to our second class where we are making introduction booklets for the children we meet. Maybe when I finish mine I will post pictures, it is pretty basic just pictures of my family, friends, and house and stuff so we have something to let the kids know about us since they do not speak English. Well, after that class I came home and thought “oh! I will just do some of my homework! How about this worksheet for my Danish language class, that looks easy!” WRONG. Oh so wrong. Because I am going to be interacting very soon (this Thursday) with the children I am in the crazy crash course Danish class. Our homework tonight was to read a ¾ page blurb about Christiania. IN DANISH. Okay, so far my vocabulary consists of words like “cat” and phrases like “my name is Julia”. Christiania is very interesting and the urban area established in 1971 by hippies and bohemians. We are going as a class on Wednesday so I understand why we read this, but it is in Danish. I just spent a good 45 minutes trying to answer the questions about the article and I feel like a 5 year old wrote my responses, which are in English. Example:

2. What are some things tourists do when they visit Christiania?
Eat at organic vegetarian restaurant and tour, go listen to music, or go to Christmas festivities.

I go to college, I should be able to at least write a sentence, but apparently when my brain is all scrambled with Danish I cannot do anything. I will for sure have to edit this if I have to turn it in. There is a word bank at the bottom of the article with some of the key words they assume we would not know. It has fun and cheery words “hårde stoffer” which means hard drugs, and “hjemløs” which means homeless.

I am off to meet up with a few girls from my Danish class to find the place out Danish professor is taking us for dinner. It sounds very posh and is called Café A 22. However, it is Copenhagen so it is raining, and it is like a 30 minute walk from our school. If I buy rain pants will you please not laugh at me when you see pictures?

1 comment:

  1. I would have answered the question "What do people do in Christiania" a little differently....but you will see that when you go there. :-) And whatever you do, try not to need to use the restroom while you are there. I can't wait to hear how that visit goes!!

    ReplyDelete