Saturday, August 28, 2010

We Dance Like Gingas

Yesterday was my first real day of classes. I had Developmental Disorders, History of European Ballet, and Danish Language and Culture. I am completely smitten with my Dev. Disorders professor. Oh goodness. He is British and came to Copenhagen for "failed love". He is also slightly very nice to look at. I could seriously listen to this man talk for hours, as can the other 25 females in the class... My Hist. of Ballet professor is a total bigshot in the cultured world of Denmark and France, he has been on the boards of all these super famous art organizations and is also super adorable. He is completely obsessed with his work and even though I have to read 5 books for that class it looks amazing. My language class has 12 people, all Child Dev students so that we can talk to the children in our practicum. It is a very fun group of girls, and our teacher is precious. She is taking us out to dinner on Monday on the schools dime so we can "have a beer together". Basically, if you are a teacher at DIS you are automatically my favorite person ever.

Yesterday I also got to see Kathrine! I know, you are all super jealous. We walked around the Strøget then she bought me ice cream at Paradis, which is kinda like gelato, but not. They make all their ice cream fresh in the morning and it is amazing. Then we went to the top of Rundetaarn, which is this really old round tower that has gorgeous views of the entire city. I will try to post pictures later, but not having internet is killing me. We had it for like an hour one night and now it doesn't work anymore, which is more frustrating then not having it at all. We then walked to Jysk to get her sheets for where she was staying, and I learned that Danish people do not share comforters! It is really hard to find a douvet cover for anything besides a twin because even if you sleep in the same bed you usually each have your own comforter just for you. This blew my mind.

After that I went to the DIS Welcome Party, which was epically fun. It was in a night club around the corner and had free refreshments. They music they played was so much fun, all sorts of crazy stuff! They played Shakira, and French music, and stuff from our top 40, and even stuff like Cotton Eyed Joe and Grease Lightening. Also, in clubs here it is about dancing and having fun, not having sex on the dance floor, which was very refreshing. I met some Danes and talked to them for a while, then Amanda had to go so we left. Then there is a really embarrassing story about the computer lab, but we do not need to get into that.

This morning/all day I went to Kronborg, which is Hamlet's Castle. It was beautiful and made me all sorts of happy.

I know that I am still in the Honey Moon stage of my time here, and in a week I will be miserably homesick and crying, but right now I am in love.

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to say that you are an amazing writer. All your impressions are hilarious. This blog is definitely getting me excited for my abroad experience! Hopefully we can see each other at some point over there!

    ReplyDelete