Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh Dear

An excerpt of the dialogue my Mind is having with the competitive American Social Norms I have been raised with.



Mind: I AM NOT MY GPA, GRADES DO NOT DEFINE ME! I AM NOT A TRANSCRIPT!
ASN: But Julia, let's be reasonable, don't you want to go to grad school?
Mind: Well... yeah... but there is so much more to life! Grad schools should want me because of who I am and my experience and passion!
ASN: Won't you look like you don't care if you slack off in undergrad?
Mind: But I do care! I am learning and I know that and that is all that should matter. I WANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD!
ASN: That isn't all that matters. How do you expect to be able to change the world if there are more qualified people going after the same jobs? The work you are doing now may seem mundane and pointless, but it is leading you on a path of good relationships with advisors and professors and graduating with honors which will make you more appealing to graduate schools so that you can get a Masters or maybe even a Doctorate which you will need in order to help people. Don't you want to help children Julia? Don't you want to inspire a generation that loves themselves?
Mind: ...
ASN: Now be a good girl and go write your papers.
Mind: SHUT UP! YOU DON'T KNOW ME

1 comment:

  1. You are an interesting person. Good luck with your life.

    ReplyDelete