Sunday, September 26, 2010

If You Could See Me Now

All I can say is that I am a beast.

Okay, you know me too well, I ALWAYS have more to say.

Quick recap of Friday night: I was going to go beer tasting, I couldn't find the brewery for a good 45 minutes of searching even though I had a map and it was an area that I know and I apparently walked by it at least 3 times, but the point is that I missed it and was very upset, so I went home and did laundry. It takes 5 hours to do a load of laundry wash + dry, but it is free and brand new machines so I can't really complain. Since all of my clothes were dirty I was sporting a nice dark blue sweater, red tank top, bright blue running shorts, and my slipper booties. Of course I get invited to go out, so I scrambled to find an outfit, and ended up wearing my super cute short white skirt with navy stripes (but keep in mind mostly white). I was also wearing black underwear, which is an important element to later on in the story. So I get all dressed up and we head to a free concert at Tivoli. As soon as we get outside it starts sprinkling, which is fine. When we get to Tivoli out of nowhere it starts to POUR. Then the thunder and lightening come. It was so much fun and we were kinda playing in the rain, then I remembered what I was wearing. It ended up not being too bad, but I feel like only I would get myself in to that situation. Grace and I left early because we were both super tired and I had to be up at 6 the next morning. We tried to find the bus stop, but of course it is us so we failed. We ended up walking through Rådhuspladsen, which is the main city square. We got hot dogs at a vender (keep in mind it is midnight and raining) then we strolled down the Strøget (I wish you all knew how to say "Strøget" so you think that is cute) until we got to a bus stop we found suitable. It was a moment of perfect "I live in Copenhagen" awe. It was perfect. I feel like this picture pretty much sums it up.


The next morning I got up at 6am to get to the bus to go to Sweden. I do not know if normal people would have this feeling, but my ex-boyfriend has this property in the mountains (yes, the same property that destroyed my foot via golfcart) and one time he was like "Let's take a walk to the river" and the walk was legitimately the most ridiculous thing of my life up to that point where we had to climb down the side of a mountain and across rocks and wade through water and hike up and down slippery only kinda paths, and it is safe to say that I was a wreck and failed when I tried to keep up with him, well right now I wish he and I were on speaking terms just so that I could tell him how amazing I was this weekend. Because honestly the walk on the river looks like a baby compared to what I just did. I was going to wait and do this post with pictures, but I will just have to upload pictures to Facebook later. Here is a teaser:


First thing we did after the 2 hour drive and ferry ride was canoe. It was amazing, here is a video us.



After we went canoeing we finally got to eat lunch and went to our hostel. Our hostel was the cutest thing ever, and I got not only a real bed, but a big double real bed. Lunch was amazing soup, we all had like 2 bowls and 5 pieces of bread. At about 3:30 we headed out to go to to Nimis, which I will have to post a sketch google image picture of because I cannot really explain it. Our packet says it is "a mind-boggling driftwood structure that is an unruly maze of towers and tunnels that meander from the forested cliff-side to the water's edge" and was started in the 80's by this guy Lars Vilks and he still works on it to this day. The hike to Nimis was crazy ridiculous, and on the way back I got separated from the group and ended up getting a little lost, but I found my way, so it was okay.


Dinner was really good, and we all played boardgames and it was very hygge, but then we had to argue if you could have "hygge" in Sweden and what the Danes would say about that. Today we went orienteering, which I had no idea what was before but I am amazing at. I had to keep relating it to the ending of the movie Troop Beverly Hills, but we were much cooler. It is almost like s scavenger hunt (which DIS is VERY into) but in nature with tasks to do once you hike to the locations. We had to climb down into a cave and tie knots, out of the 3/6 of us that went down I was the only one who could tie the knots and I did them all correctly! I was proud. We did the orienteering for 2 1/2 hours, then went for another 2 hours of rappelling. Rappelling was cool, but I honestly have no real desire to ever do it again. I went down the baby one and was convinced I would not go off the huge seacliff, and then I did. I had so much fun and this blog does not even do it justice but I am tired and sore and have a million cuts and bruises all over my body and this is the best I can do at the moment. I think I may sign up for this trip again next semester, it was possibly the best weekend I have had while abroad.

If this did not suffice with details about the trip let me know and I will tell you in a real conversation how much of a beast I am, because it is true.

1 comment: