Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Practicum Site!

So I am working in a børnehave in the northern suburbs of Copenhagen every Thursday from 9:00-15:00. The kids are between the ages of 3 and 6 and it is like a kindergarten. The area I am working in is probably the most culturally diverse in all of Denmark. I think we only had like 3 or 4 children who were more then second generation Danish. It is not too great of an area, with some of the children having a history of being abused, but the kids are great. I had so much fun, but it is so different from American kindergartens. The children can stay as long as they want between the hours of 6 and 18. There is also no schedule, no planned activities. They eat then play, then eat again, and play some more, then have snack, then play, maybe a story, then some play time, then a meal. But, the wonderful thing is that they feed us. About half the children come from Islamic backgrounds, so there is no beef or pork, but they eat primarily organic foods. For snack today we had home made cinamon bread with this really awesome creamy cheese and bell peppers. I will definitely be eating well on Thursdays. All the children use real dishes and knives and forks also. No sippy cups in Denmark, it is crazy. I was petrified and got off on a rocky start (it took me an hour and a half to get there this morning), but I am in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment