Monday, September 20, 2010

Jeg kan godt lide Danmark. Jeg kan ikke lide regn.

So I wrote my paper for History of European Ballet, and I started my Danish homework, so I figure that is good enough for right now. I am seriously over school work here. I forget that it is school, in my mind it feels like a year off because I have so much other stuff on my mind. Also, as much as I adore my Danish teacher, what a stupid language. I only think it is stupid because I obviously am not intelligent enough to get it, but seriously. I guess it is harder because it is a super accelerated class, but my brain just hurts. And everything comes out in french? Like, french that I forgot that I knew pops into my brain before any danish word I know. My Danish class did go to the fodbold (football as in soccer) game yesterday.

It was F.C. København vs. Brøndby. København (in case you didn't know) is Copenhagen in Danish, and Brøndby is a suburb just outside the city. The teams will henceforth be known as FCK and Brøndby. They are club teams, but fodbold is serious business. This game is the biggest rivalry in the league. There is an extra 50 kroner charge on the tickets because of all the damage the Brøndby fans do to the stadium. There were over 35,000 people in the stands and it was freezing.

It was not a very exciting game in general, FCK scored within the first 10 minutes on a penalty kick, and scored again in the middle of the second half. Brøndby didn't really have a chance... and after all, it WAS soccer. I find that I am a very competitive person and get really in to sports, but only when I have some idea of what is going on. Everyone was talking in Danish, obviously, and I did not know any of the players and I did not know how to cheer or what the protocol was. Finally I got that if you just drink a beer and scream a lot you are easily accepted into the crowd. The FCK crowd was very into it, but I was just plain scared of Brøndby. They sneak in all these fireworks and sparklers and set them off during the game. Here is a series of pictures to try to explain it a little better.



Yeah. The second image is when they started throwing stuff at our goalie. The first is just of a chair they set on fire. Standard. It was weird because no one did anything about it. No one freaked out and no one put the fires out until the end of the game. In a stadium of over 30,000 people. The week after the city freaked out about a bomb threat. America would never be okay with this. I like that Denmark is so safe, but sometimes I worry that they are just naive, but maybe I am just an oversensitized American.

I had a lot of fun, but it was madness.

Tomorrow I have class all day then my cooking class. It is the vegetarian night so I am not too excited, but it IS free food + leftovers. I have been a little down today, as I tend to be these days when I have too much time to think. I really need to start a journal for myself, but I hate writing for myself, because I do not especially think I am a good writer and I tend to say some really stupid stuff. I like to write, but if I am writing for myself with an audience I am more inclined to write what I mean. Like knowing that my thoughts are out in the world allows me more freedom than keeping them locked up in a journal. I am my biggest critic, and I probably always will be, I just need to find a medium where I can journal with absolutely no filters, but not have to keep it to myself. I don't care if it is theraputic to journal, I write for myself but like to feel a little bit vulnerable I guess. I make no sense. I am now going to proceed to talk to Michelle instead of finishing my Danish homework tonight.

EDIT: trying to finish my homework now. WHY would they put the word "please" in a sentence for me to translate when please is not a word that exists in their vocabulary. Tak for stupid homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment