Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tyvre!

So here is the short deal of my birthday. All the activities I did were fun and I was with a good supportive group of friends, but I was a little bit of an emotional mess at a few different points. It was still better then birthdays of the past have been and the only thing that really upset me was my school withholidng my birthday package because 'they do not hand out packages on the weekends' even though you could see in to the mail room where it was and there was someone at the desk...

The night before I had convinced myself that I was going to clean my room and go to sleep really early so I would be rested, but then that ended up not happening at all. I went out with some people from my floor and it was fun, but then this boy wanted to go to a gay bar and that was probably one of the most fun things I have done here. They played every song I requested, AND the songs that the DJ just played by himself were so great. I am talking Shakira and Britney and Modonna with everyone singing along at the top of their lungs. I got home from that at around 4, and then the fire alarm went off, I was not pleased, but I passed out again very easily.

In the morning I went on the school trip to Frederiksborg Castle. We had to meet a Frue Plads which is only 3 bus stops away. Well, it is only 3 bus stops away on a day that the 14 actually takes it's route. I do not know if it is a weekend thing, or if all the busses just went crazy, but it did not go the way it has the other 20 times I have taken it, AND today I took it and it went ANOTHER way that I had never been before. I do not understand. Anyways, Amanda picked me up some wienerbrød and it was delicious and we were on our way tot he castle. We did not actually get a lot of time there, which was sad because it was a beautiful sunny day and we wanted to go to the gardens, but it was still really fun and really pretty. The castle is Christian IV's summer castle that he built to be a symbol of how wealthy he was. Then Christian VII (Christian IV's great great great great great grandson) decided that he wanted to live in it all year (Christian VII is the one who decided it was okay to have Denmark be a democracy because he did not really want to be king all that much and was much more interested in history, especially the history of Christian IV). However, the castle was a summer castle so Christian VII had to put in fire places everywhere to keep it warm in the winter, which of course means that the castle had many fires and almost all of it has been destroyed at some point. No one royal lives in the castle any more, and the Carlsborg Brewery has sponsored a national museum there since the mid 18oos.

Later in the day we went to Tivoli which is unlike any amusement park I have been to before. Tivoli was one of the things that inspired Disneyland, and it kinda has that feel, except it is a lot more homey. Disneyland has the charm that is created for you, that is so perfect and wonderful, but Tivoli seems to have natural charm that comes with history. We only went on one ride and it was the swing ride. It is the tallest swing ride in the world at 80 metres high. I thought it was going to be scary, but it was magical. I couldn't tell if I was crying because it was so beautiful or because of the cold air hitting my eyes, but I know that I want to remember that moment forever. After the ride we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner and I got a California burger. I have been really home sick the past couple days, but it was perfect.

I was going to go out again last night, but when I got back home (after midnight) I just passed out. It was a good birthday and I had a lot of fun. I was not home, but I can have as many birthdays as I want at home, this will probably be my only one in Copenhagen.

Today we had a picnic that DIS put on. It was on the beach, well on a lawn right next to the beach. I know that this weather will not last, but I wish that it would for just a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment